THEME: KNOW YOURSELF THAT YOU MAY KNOW GOD
BREATH PRAYER: SPIRIT, HELP ME KNOW MY SHADOW, SO THAT I CAN LAY IT DOWN
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: Today, I feel ________________.*
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
“You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge.” (Psalm 119:65-66)
Pray this week’s breath prayer and pause for a few moments of silence.
In Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, Peter Scazzero writes, “I truly believe the greatest gift we can give the world is our true self living in loving union with God. In fact, how can we affirm other people’s unique identities when we don’t affirm our own? Can we really love our neighbors well without loving ourselves?”
One way in which we can worship God is by acknowledging the marvelous way He has made us. Your physical body, personality, passions, and abilities are all important parts of the way God has made you to be you, and He is supremely pleased. Spend 15-20 minutes writing a list of things you like about yourself. As you do, use this time to worship God for the way He has created you, for His masterful work in crafting the person of you. Note: This is not about bragging or self-inflating our ego, rather it is thanking God for the precious gifts He has given you.
What do you think is on God’s list of things He loves about you? Ask Him to speak to you about it, and write down what comes to mind.
Is there anything on your list that surprised you? Or was writing this list particularly difficult for you? If so, why do you think that is the case?
Digging Deeper … God is inviting you to be who He has uniquely called you to be. Review your list, asking God to highlight anything that might be the product of someone else’s expectations of you–a place where you’re wearing someone else’s armor. Ask the Lord if there’s anything He would have you take off because it doesn’t fit you.
- Summary: In your journal, write a short summary of the specific gifts and traits God has displayed in you.
- Closing: Ask for your heavenly Father’s help in seeing yourself as He sees you–wholly and unconditionally loved, a masterpiece of His crafting. Spirit, help me know my shadow, so that I can lay it down.