THEME: Abundant life grows through sacrifice, not consumption.
GRACE: Lord, help me see where You are calling me to live generously.
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: Today, I feel ________________.
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20, MSG)
- Pause for a few moments of silence.
- Choose one of the following practices.
Option 1: Mission – Reflection [5-30 minutes]
Often, the word mission makes us think only of global missions, the activity of Christian missionaries around the world. Mission, however, is the work of God in the world. God is constantly drawing all of creation into His loving rule, and it is happening continually all around us. The Practice of Mission is simply noticing and joining God in that work.
Watch the following video from Eugene Peterson, where he explains the importance of viewing our daily work as holy:
When you are finished, open your journal and answer the following questions:
- Is it difficult for you to think of your daily work as “holy”? What keeps you from viewing it that way?
- Think of the things you will do later today, or the things you have already done. How might you be able to connect your work to God’s mission? How might your daily work bless others, add beauty or life to the world, or draw attention to God’s goodness?
- Are there any people you might interact with today whom you could show love or grace to? Write down their names and ask God to help you practice His mission as you interact with them today.
Option 2: Mission – Prayer of Examen [30-60 minutes]
The practice of Mission is an intentional action in the world, joining God in His work of renewing all things. Today, pray through each step of the Prayer of Examen below, reviewing your past 24 hours and asking God to reveal His mission in your life.
- Spend a few minutes in stillness, asking the Lord to help you rest in His presence.
- Think back over the past 24 hours, as if you were watching a movie of your life. When did you sense God at work around you? When did you participate in His work? How did that feel?
- Walk through your previous day once more. When did you not respond to God’s invitation in your life? How did that feel?
- Talk to God about the ways in which you were unable or unwilling to respond to His invitation. Ask Him for forgiveness, and thank Him for His mercy.
- Look ahead to the upcoming day. Ask God if there are any opportunities to join Him in His work in your world. Ask Him for the grace to respond and follow His call.
If there are any specific ways in which you sense God leading you to join Him in His work today, write them in your journal. It may help to set an alert or reminder for later in your day!
- Summary: Write a brief summary (five sentences or less) of what you experienced during your reflection on Mission.
- Closing Prayer: Lord, help me see where You are calling me to live generously.
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org